Friday, May 8, 2015

Backyard Camp Out

Last weekend we decided to have a little family camp out... in the backyard... It seemed like a good first step towards mountain camping. But I have no desire to try and sleep in a tent with Hazel just yet, so this was perfect. She still went to bed in her own crib at the normal time. Camping! Right?
We had fun though! The girls wandered and played.
We made S'mores, Hazel just ate a marshmallow.
Then we went into the tent to hang out and have story time. 
Hazel was upset that I was not yet in the tent.

For full family bonding (and maximum chaos) we locked the pets in there with us for a little bit.
Miso about had a panic attack. Noted. He is not coming on the real camping venture when it happens one day. ;)

Then we put Hazel to bed and let June stay up later. Big kid perks. That's when the ghost stories came out.

Buck's ghost story telling faces. 

June had many tales to tell as well. Here are her many faces:

The sun began to dim and it was nearing bed time.
photo by June
Photo by June
We made sure to get into our sleeping bags for the full effect

And then we bribed June out of the tent and into her own bed by letting her take my sleeping bag with her to sleep. I'd say it was a pretty great night and proof that you can have all the fun in the camping world in your own backyard.

4 comments:

Max and Rebecca said...

We were just talking about doing this..I was trying to tell Max that he needed to do it alone with Charlie because it sounds kind of miserable to me. I can't really sleep anywhere but my bed. And I've grown up doing multiple camping trips a year. You made it look fun! I love the storytelling faces and Hazels happy face when her daddy's reading to her!

Adrian said...

So fun! I have lots of memories of sleeping in the backyard.

Lillybet said...

What a fun thing to do.We always talked about doing this but I'm not sure we ever did and I'm sad that we didn't. If I'm wrong you can correct me.

4boyzmdmom said...

Love all the story telling faces! This is a great idea and I would love to try it but we're not allowed to set up a tent in our yard. HOAs are evil!