Monday, November 10, 2014

Kiss Good-Bye

The perfect, warm fall weather has held out longer than anyone anticipated. But this morning I woke up to the loud winds tearing through the valley. I think the warmth is gone. But thanks to the weather man we knew it was coming, so a few days ago I threw the girls in the car and we went for one last drive into the mountains.

We drove for a while and Hazel slept the whole time. June and I got out for a minute to throw rocks into the water. But really though, probably a minute and then June said it was too cold. haha 45 degrees and she's done! Definitely my child. But I made her suffer through a couple photos anyway because I'm a mean photographer mom.

She said that these were "snow white trees." For those who may not know what that means there is a part in the movie when Snow White is going through the scary woods and the trees are bare and grab at her with their wooden arms.

She's the best.


Our little jaunt turned out to be more reverent than I thought it would be. The mountains were quiet and still. Most of the leaves were down on the earth like thick frosting. The tree branches were revealed and I was surprised at just how tangled and twisty they are. So many tiny little shoots spiraling off the larger arms. Leaves have a way of hiding the chaos underneath them. I couldn't help but stop a few times to get out of the car and marvel at it all. God is everywhere!








There were some areas where there were only a few leaves left on the trees. They looked like poka dots and I loved them. I wasn't able to capture an image of them the way I wanted to because I was in a hurry by this point- but you'll get the idea I hope. Also the colors of the other leaves were delicious.


There was one tree that had some yellow leaves left, dotting the branches, twisted around a pine tree. I didn't stop but I wish I did. It looked like a tango between two seasons. And anyway, the point is that even though this time of year isn't as popular to drive up into the mountains for, I found it fascinating.

And now I leave you with one last photo. I like to think of this as one last kiss good bye from Fall.

Good bye you lovely season!

8 comments:

Max and Rebecca said...

Your Photos are excellent and June is such an excellent model. We went on a little jaunt to the forest today for these same reasons. We still have quite a few leaves left and of course tons of evergreens!

Lillybet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lillybet said...

Ha ha, I loved the image of the 'snow white trees'. Once again you've made us appreciate through pictures the beauties of this earth no matter what time of year it is. Oh, and I love the selfie with you in June. Those are the kinds of pictures you will always treasure because somehow it reflects those unplanned precious moments of life.

Erinlizabeth said...

First of all, that sweater is the BOMB! I totally want one. June looks like such a little lady. Older every day! I want that last picture hanging in my house someday.

Dayna said...

I love to look at branches too. The patterns each tree makes is a wonder. God is everywhere, and he is good.

Carrie Lynn said...

Dreamy.
Also a little heartbreaking.

Tanya Hanamaikai said...

Such a gorgeous outing!

4boyzmdmom said...

I love the one with the ray of sunshine on the evergreen! And the one of the fall leaves on the ground. And the kiss goodbye! I often think I'd like to get in the car & drive somewhere. And then I remember my long "to do" list, so I don't go. But you are inspiring me...I need to go anyway!