Thursday, August 7, 2014

6 Mile Cabin

Camping is fun, sure. But I just can't believe that it would be fun with a toddler and a baby. Sure, the fire, roasting food, playing in the stream and catching bugs- it could be a wonder of a time with kids. But then the sun sets. Mosquitoes start to party. It's gets darker and darker. You have a flash light. It gets cold. And eventually you all have to sleep... in the tent over by the trees. It's all fun and games until babies are involved. Imagine itchy bug bites on their skin. Changing a diaper in the dirt with only a flashlight to find those precious wipes. Cold little noses and loud sleeping bags. Nobody sleeps.

Why? Why one earth would I pay money and break my back preparing for that disaster? No thank you. I'll stick to our day time canyon trips.

Thankfully my cousin Alyse shares the same sentiments. So she booked her family's cabin and invited us for a night. In the end we still kind of roughed it... I mean Buck and I shared a bunk bed with June. That's good enough for me!

The cabin is in Manti Utah. We had never been there before so it was a fun drive through all the small towns.



We got there when the sun was setting.














The next morning I actually woke up at 5:30 am... so that's like real camping too right? I had to go get something from the car and when I stepped outside it was instantly a therapeutic moment. It wasn't light yet but the stars had all melted into the black as morning grew closer. It was so quiet except for the river. My biggest regret was that I didn't stay out there longer and meditate. *sigh

And anyway, I made everyone a pancake breakfast and then I went exploring around the property.







Then we all got ready and went to the lake. It was kind of a bust because June wouldn't get in and we forgot our swimming suits and the rangers wouldn't let Abe go onto the beach or in the water... how dumb! But June was able to entertain herself in the sand so whatever.



This photo sums up Buck's experience. He was stressed the whole time about work. (because it's really stressful there right now.)

So when Hazel got grouchy we decided to call it a day. Hey, you can't win em all. But you can try!

The drive home was good though. Hazel slept and we took the back roads going through all the small towns, which for some reason is one of our favorite things to do. Probably because when we were dating we took a road trip across country and went through a lot of small towns and made friends.

So yes. This was our "camping" for the summer. Maybe next year we'll attempt the real deal. And yes, my shirt in the photo above says "I like big bucks and I cannot lie."  And so maybe Buck's mom is the one who gave it to me. And maybe I laugh about it all the time.

4 comments:

Tanya Hanamaikai said...

So much gold! Eez goorjeous!

Jodi said...

1. that's an awesome shirt. 2. i will never attempt real camping with a baby; my youngest would have to be at least 2 years old. so i get you.

Carrie Lynn said...

I still want to try real camping. A campground and a tent count as real camping right? Just once.

Honestly, that photo of the river was so serene I stopped and stared it for like 5 minutes. I'm counting this as MY meditation.

4boyzmdmom said...

I love driving through little towns too. We saw some fun ones on our way to Delaware last weekend. And there are some great ones in New York!

Camping with a two year old is no picnic either...they get SOOOO dirty!! Stick to cabin camping for now. :)

I love the shirt too. So funny!