Today marks the anniversary of when I went into the Missionary Training Center to prepare to go serve in Armenia. It also marks the anniversary for Buck as well, seeing as he also entered the MTC that same day to get ready for Armenia. Which also makes it the anniversary of the day I met my husband.
This is no secret to most of you.
But let's talk about it for a second, shall we?
There is always this wonder from others when they hear that we met on our missions.
"Did they flirt?"
"Did they plan on dating?"
"Did they date secretly?!"
"Did they profess their undying love to each other while out in the mission field?!"
So today I will set your hearts to rest.
The short story is this: We DID become friends in the MTC. I mean, after all we sat next to each other in a small room for three months solid with no contact to the outside world. Everyone in the group were friends though, we were in it together. I got along with Buck the best, that's true. I always figured it was because he was 23 and the others were, you know, 19 years old.
Then I didn't see him much once we got into the country as I went down south to a small village near the borders of Turkey and Iran and he went north into the mountains. We did see each other once a month that summer though because we would have mission conference and go on a mission trip together and sight see. (Side note, there were only about 40 missionaries total in our whole mission so we all got to know each other pretty well and felt like a big family.)
| Our MTC group together at mission conference/Thanksgiving 2007 |
I was moved to a city up north and was there for a few months when Buck (ahem, Elder Harrison) was also transfered in. We served in that area together for just a couple months. There were just the four elders and my companion and I. That was the time during the holidays so we got to celebrate those all together, including new years eve when we all got to watch movies from America until midnight at the church. (exciting times, people!)
| Buck and his lovely missionary hair cut. In a marshutney on the way back all together from a zone conference |
| Celebrating American Christmas day (x-mas is Jan.6 in Armenia) at a maffia restaurant. |
| In the church in Gymri |
In the middle of that winter I was transfered down south again while he stayed north. But I was only there a few months and then back up north I went and we were both put into the small town of Chartensavan, my last area before returning home.
We were there together for a few months and we became good friends during this time. It was only him and his companion and my companion and I, so we did a lot together working with the branch there and probably saw each other every day.
| District conference; our MTC group together again! |
| In the mission office. MTC group again, I think we were there to renew our visas or something |
I did trust him. I enjoyed talking with him. We laughed a lot and I was comfortable around him. In the end I did spend a lot of time with him (and his companions) while on my mission. There were a couple times I remember needing a blessing and if he was in my area I always chose him to give it to me.
But did I ever in my life think that I would even date Elder Harrison, let alone marry him while I was ever there? Honestly?
No way!
Not because he wasn't a great guy but because you learn not to think about those things as a missionary and besides, I was going home 6 months before him and I had A LOT of flirting to let loose on the boys of Idaho, I had no idea what was going to happen. I didn't even know if I would see him again.
| We played... soccer or something random one P-day. Look how skinny Buck got! hahahaha!! |
| I'm dead for posting this photo... but a member made him wear this because it was raining outside. We all thought he looked like a cruise ship director. |
| All in the marshutney on the way to a baptism |
| Buck baptizing my last convert before I left |
| I guess they were kicking me out? ha |
I will say this- one time after I was home, but Buck was still out serving, my mom asked me, "If you were to choose any of the elders from your mission to date, who would it be?"
I paused and thought about it and then answered,
"Probably Elder Harrison."
And here we are today. Seven years later. Boom. Married and making a family and stuff.
I am grateful everyday for the special connection and history that we have together. Armenia is so special to my heart and soul and in the end I don't have to explain one bit of that to him. We were able to form a unique friendship that wasn't clouded with dating expectations. I had the privilege to see the kind of missionary he was and to see him live his testimony and serve. It's a beautiful thing! I know God had His hand in it all. There was nobody else for me in this world and to think that I knew my future husband for so long without ever even thinking it was him. I love it.
So happy 7 years Buck!
Let's go back to Armenia together someday, shall we?
7 comments:
This makes me SO HAPPY!! Not that any of this is news to me. It just makes me happy that you two ended up together after forming such a solid foundation!
Such a great love story!
Love! Laughs! Good to know!
I have to admit this made me a little emotional. Only because when we can look back in our lives and see the hand of God in our lives it can be humbling. When you are in the right place at the right time because you have tried to follow Heavenly Father's guidance in your life great things can happen. Happy seven years.
I went to link a blog and saw Anna's blog. I couldn't resist. Anna is great writer, has a unique perspective, is so genuine, and speaks from the heart to others hearts. On top of that - great photography. I enjoyed your story and directness and seeing photos of a cute young family that is an influence for good in a world that needs goodness. What a wonderful family. I have fond memories of you in a pink tutu being a good friend to my son who was a bit lonely. Missions are a wonderful education. Loves! Karla Briggs
I love your blog Anna. (I've been stalking your for a long time) This just might be my favorite post ever.
I need to do a post like this to set the record straight about how Frank and I met...we always get the skeptical looks and you can just see questions in people's eyes when we say they we met when I was on my mission! What your mom says is true, too...you get blessed for trying to do the right thing...often you don't realize how much until later. I almost didn't meet Frank--he came home the same day of transfers and I wanted to be transferred, but wasn't. It seemed like a trial at the time...haha!
Love all the mission photos, by the way! I haven't seen most of them.
Post a Comment