What did I want this year? Simple beeswax candles. Right? Get some sheets of the stuff and roll it up around a wick and BAM- candles.
But sheets of beeswax are nowhere to be found in stores and online there are only expensive and massive kits. Boo. That was one wasted trip to Hobby Lobby.
So then I go back to Hobby Lobby. That naughty whirling vortex of supplies that promise to be "easy" on the package. I decide, what the heck, I'll make some simple hand dipped candles instead. How hard can it be? I'm sure you can guess what the universe of crafting would answer to that...
The thing is- I don't even LIKE doing crafts very much, as I've mentioned before. This is different from being creative and experimenting, sure. I like those things- but crafts always involve cutting paper and sewing and gluing and knowing What the devil you're doing. I don't have the patience for it. And I hate how it seems so easy every time but then there are always at least 15 dead ends to every road you go down. But maybe it's just me. Well whatever, you wont see any Etsy shops in my name anytime soon...
So I buy some wax. Why? Because the worker told me it was the right kind. In this world these days you have to ask Google, not store employees.... and I learned my lesson that day.
An hour of dipping string into soy wax, Buck and I give up and go to bed grouchy. There was maybe one layer of slippery wax to show for our work.
"Just give it up already and make cookies!" said my shoulder.... angel.
"But no!" I declared, determined and crazed, "These candles WILL be made!!"
And off to Hobby Lobby I went. This time with more research and anger than ever before.
And?
IT WORKED.
And dang it, I'm proud of how they turned out. I even came up with the idea of wrapping them all my myself. And THAT worked too. So TAKE THAT UNIVERSE.
A couple last things I will mention.
1) Use paraffin wax when making hand dipped candles. And ask Google about it first.
2) I only made ten of these so sorry that I'm posting this and not delivering them to many people. I only have so much sanity.


3 comments:
You go girl. Wait to stick to it. Now that you have figured it out it should be easier next time right? They turned out pretty cool I think especially with the wrapping. I want some next year.-:)
My In-Law family is super crafty. They assume because I'm artsy that I like crafts. No its not in my make-up. I hate them. They stress me out. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Good job on the candles.
What did you do with the soy wax?/What can you do with it? Dang lying Hobby Lobbiers.
Post a Comment