Coming to you straight from my journal:
April 24, 2010
Last night I got engaged.
I know! I’m as shocked as anyone!
Here’s what happened:
We went to a waffle house for dinner and then to an ocean movie. Nothing special. At the end of the movie Buck looked at me all weird. Then he got silent. Once we got in the car he thoughtfully stated, “I want to go for a drive.”
Something seemed off and the thought actually crossed my mind that maybe he was going to propose, (which scared me to death.) But I knew that A) When and if he did that he would plan something unique- and right then he clearly had nothing of the sort. And B) I was thinking we still had a good month or two before any questions involving words such as “will you marry me?” would be attempted. Besides, C) we had only really made jokes about marriage, never talked too seriously about it.
But apparently I was wrong.
We drove up the mountain and parked overlooking the city lights. He wanted to climb up some rock but I was too cold and refused. He looked for a blanket and didn’t have one. I felt reassured- he had nothing planned.
So we sat there for a second. At this point I was positive my suspicions were wrong so I joked, “You’re acting all weird like you’re going to propose or something. Haha”
…………….
He was silent for a second and then said, “Well… actually… umm… I have something for you…” And he fumbled to his glove box.
Pulled out a ring box.
After that it’s all a jumble of me laughing nervously and crazed and confused and saying in shock and slight fear, “What are you doing?!” “Why do you have that?!” “Why is this happening?!” and him saying something about loving me and “I wasn’t planning on doing this right now. I knew I shouldn’t of taken this [the ring] around with me!” “You know I’m impulsive...” and “Okay, I’m going to ask you now….”
It was shocking for us both. He really hadn’t planned it for last night until about two minutes before he actually did.
I took a good fifteen minutes to freak out. As it sunk into me I began to lose my breath and actually panic. I felt dizzy. So I put my head in my lap right then and there and told God that I was about to say “YES” and to help me feel peace.
I turned to him and kind of whispered, “Okay.”
And now I’m engaged.
And I feel peace.

8 comments:
hahahahaha! i freakin' LOVE this. yeeeessss!!! so excited for you two. p.s. you should move to provo so we can have married dates.
Congratulations! What a great story! I can't wait to meet him!
Auntie Anna and Uncle Buuuuck! I just am so happy for you two and hopefully I get to attend your wedding. I love you both!
Yeah...I am thoroughly ecstatic and I keep thinking of wonderful wedding gifts!! I'm treking up to Boise before heading back to Provo so I will be there!!!!
I'm so glad I found your blog!! Now we can still read eachothers journals !!
Yay for you! Congratulations!! Being married is the best. Cute story to tell your kids!!!
this is beautiful. :) seriously greatest story ever. and i'm SO happy for you!!!! love you babe!
Anna..... I love ya! That is hilarious! Congrats!
I felt like I was there or we were chatting in your "I Love Lucy" themed room and you were reenacting the whole thing. Friend, I am so terribly happy for you, beyond happy, through the roof and to the stars ecstatically elated for you. I wish you the best and hope Hawaii is in your near future. . .
and I'm so glad you have a blog.
ciao bella and aloha!
Post a Comment