Happy New Year! We had a jam packed day of celebrating. First we got invited to go to the roller skating rink with some neighbors for a New Years party and Balloon drop.
There were characters there too and Johnny was stunned when Spider man was suddenly in the parking lot before we even got in there. He loves Spider man lately. And Rose was stoked to see Raya- one of her favorite movies.
And then it was time for the balloon drop. I thought it was going to be a thing where the balloons, I don't know, dropped- and we played in them and had a dance party. But apparently it was a thing where you all savagely pop the balloons to find tickets fro prizes. I hate this kind of competitive crap. Because guess what happened (and what always happens) parents and kids alike are out for blood. I saw older kids and preteens walking around with 8 stuffed animal prizes while little toddlers were crying because they didn't get a single ticket. I hope to raise my kids better than that! Ugh. A kid stole June's tickets, Rose never got one, Hazel did and got a fidget so June was jealous and then a little kid, who was kind, gave Johnny an extra ticket he found and Johnny ends up with a big stuffed dinosaur so Rose was in tears all the way home. Such a success. 😂 So many we don't do this again next year?
The popping was loud and intense.
That night Buck's family was going to come over but then they got sick so it was just us and my parents. The energy was low but I was determined to make it a fun night so I turned on some music and we had chocolate fondue and soon everyone was happy.
And then we set off our New Year's sky lantern and made wishes for the new year. WE had to light it inside because it was too windy outside. Once we let it go we thought it was going to crash and not fly but then it ended up lifting off (after being stuck on Buck's truck) and the whole thing was a bit chaotic so I didn't get great photos but it was a great memory.
And then of course, some sparklers. 💥
By that time it was 10:00 pm our time so New York was doing their ball drop so we were able to tune into that and do a cheers and drink cider at the "new year" and then get kids to bed. ;)
And THEN I actually let June and Hazel stay up and we ended up going to the neighbor's party for the last hour. We chatted and played and then when it was midnight we all cheered and did a funny Peruvian tradition where you run down the street with luggage to bring good luck and travel for the new year. It was super fun and also epic because right at 12:00 there were also fireworks going off all around the neighborhood AND around the lake in all the nearby towns. New Year's magic at its best.
2 comments:
That balloon drop! I hate competitive stuff like that too!!
I guess we celebrated New Year's together since you did the ball drop with us on our time! :)
The balloon drop...ugh. I hate stuff like that too. Community Easter Egg hunts with too many people etc. The rest looks fun though. Maybe next year will be the year we tell our kids that New Years is a holiday. Hahaha!
Post a Comment