Sunday, May 5, 2019

Happy May Day!

A fun and cheery little tradition that I've tried to celebrate on and off for a few years is May Day. There's a varied and multi cultural history on this holiday but most people here in the states don't seem to think much of it. But for some reason I did this as a child and so it's been fun to teach my kids. 

We keep it simple and make paper cones, fill them with flowers and then go pass them out to friends. (If I were to be even more authentic I would hang them on doors.) I was really happy with my little colorful arrangements.

June picked out her own flowers and had her own idea to make cards and poems for her friends. Hazel didn't join in till later and she drew some pictures with her flowers but I didn't have a chance to photograph that! But I'm so happy I got these little cards June made.

June asked to use my camera to take a staged photo of one of her cards. haha

So yeah! Pretty simple. We ended up passing these out at like 9:00 pm so we barely made it but whatever, it's the thought that counts. ;) And I am so happy it's May! Here's to warmer days!

3 comments:

Lillybet said...

Love this tradition and those notes that June made are the best. It’s that personal touch that makes all the difference and the fact that they’re all put together with love. If you just bought a bunch of Flowers at the store and put them on someone’s doorstep in the same wrapping you bought them in it would not mean so much.

alyse said...

We doorbell ditch flowers on May Day too! Such pretty arrangements

Max and Rebecca said...

I did this as a kid a couple times, and I was thinking about it this year, but then did nothing about it! ha! I love June's staged photo! But hooray for May, I was just realizing that it's my favorite month, then it started to rain...