Sunday, January 13, 2019

Afternoon Tea

It was the day before school started back up again after Christmas break, but that was about the only thing special about it. Otherwise it was a grey begining-of-January kind of day. The kids and I were aimless. And yet, I felt something come over me, a sort of spark, an urge to carpe some diem or something like that. I felt compelled to add some color, and what's more, to do a "fun mom" kind of thing. Next thing I knew I was throwing a last minute tea party for the girls and their neighborhood friends. 😂 Perhaps that's not what your diem looks like when you carpe it, but right now, for me, it was a total seizing of an otherwise doldrum day. And yet another step back into myself. 

It was simple, for me. I brought out some tea cups and lace. The girls helped me make some blueberry muffins. I sliced some lemons. I arranged some oranges and cheese sticks, and then filled a canister with peppermint pretzels. Lastly there was some cherry syrup and sugar to sweeten their lemon tea. I diffused some citrus oils in the room and played some violin music (on a speaker. I do not play the violin. But that would have been ultra fancy.)

And a fancy time was had by all!
(and Hazel's photo kills me)

May 2019 have more impromptu tea parties within it. 💖

4 comments:

Adrian said...

So fun!! I love the bright dishes, and I would have been really impressed by authentic violin playing. Ha ha!

Lillybet said...

Impromptu is the best and a fun way to start the new year.

~ Matt and Erin Kern ~ said...

So awesome and so Anna. :)

4boyzmdmom said...

I couldn't have done this impromptu because I don't have pretty dishes and lace tablecloths and stuff like that! I have been totally deprived of tea parties and all those things, since I don't have any girls. But I do have a thing for pretty dishes and someday when I have a bigger house with somewhere to put them, I am going to start buying pretty dishes. (My ultimate dream is to have a butler's pantry!) Anyway, this looks so pretty and fun. A perfect thing to add some color to a gray January day.