Thursday, April 28, 2016

Getaway- Zion National Park


Last weekend Buck and I raged down to Cedar City for the first official event for our new non profit. Since it was a few hours south, we decided to make a little getaway out of it. Thank you to Buck's parents for hanging out with our girls so we could do this! 

After the event we left and drove further south and the rocks and canyons grew redder and larger, swelling in the sun. We stayed at a little guest house/bed and breakfast in the small town of Toquerville. It was perfect! It was clean and new and nice but surrounded by views of red rocks and mountains.

We checked in and then went to dinner at the Stagecoach and the food was amazing. It was expensive but worth it. And while I hate spending a lot of money on dinner, I love it when Buck gets all romantic and says, “Don't worry about money, we are on a date.”

After we ate we were so stuffed. We drove in Zion National Park and looked around a bit but the sun was going down and we decided we were tired so we went back to the bed and breakfast instead.
Can you see the clown face in these clouds?

We went to bed early and therefore I woke up early. But the sunrise was velvety and crushed with lilacs.
Once Buck was awake, we went into the main house for our customized breakfast. The lady that lives there and owns the inn was super friendly. She made a fresh apple cinnamon chutney for my pancakes and poured a layer of Vermont syrup over them. Then she had to leave to get some strawberries from her bushes before the chipmunks did. Sometimes I still wish I had that kind of small town life.

Then we headed into Zion again. I was bummed because we couldn't hike Angels Landing like I had planned. We found out it was going to take several hours and we didn't have that time.

  But we decided on a “moderate” hike that was only an hour and a half. It was beautiful. It wound around the sandy rocks and red dirt. The views were unearthly. Zion is truly a wonder of this world! I can't believe it is in our state! There was cotton floating in the air, in the distance you could see the jagged teeth of rocks mangled across the backs of mountains. A green river was a few stories below our path, green trees dressing up it's windy course. We took our time on the small hike, Buck letting me stop to take photos.

Mostly the whole weekend was relaxing with Buck. I missed the girls but being alone with him is always priceless. We didn't talk and talk about life like we sometimes do on road trips. We were more quiet and if not then we were joking and laughing and being weird and silly. We needed that. And at that point, I just wanted to keep going and hiking with him.
Photographer problems: Strangers don't know how to use my camera and we are usually out of focus. haha

And now, one last random thing. Before the hike we got two little animal finger puppets at the gift shop and decided to take them around and take their photos everywhere to show the girls their new gift that way. It was fun finding places together.

And now? I NEED to go back and hike more hikes and get to the top of Angel's Landing once again!

3 comments:

Adrian said...

Haha! I love the finger puppets day out pics. Also, I totally understand the out of focus photos from strangers. I usually put my camera on like f22 or something ridiculously high now. That way we have to be in focus basically. Haha!

4boyzmdmom said...

I love the finger puppet pictures too--what a good idea! Zion's is so beautiful!! Seth told me the other day that he wants to go there. Maybe we can do that when we are there this summer!

Tanya Hanamaikai said...

<3 crushed with lilacs!!!<3 The finger puppets were too cute even if it only turned out for your own entrainment ha ha