Your birthday will always be extra special for me. Not only does it mark each year you grow older, but it celebrates the day that I became a mother. It shows the amount of years that your dad and I have survived parenthood and kept another human alive.
The first couple of years I would write about the new things you had learned to do like walking, first words, and growing teeth. But as I sit here to write about your fourth year, your milestones have already become so much more profound and complex.
This past year you continued on in your long journey of learning about things like: friendship, getting feelings hurt, telling the truth vs. lying, being brave but knowing your limits, love, fear, saying prayers, and how to be a big sister.
You are naturally kind and soft. You are clever and observant. You like empirical evidence. When I tell you that the chips are all gone you look at me, pause and then say, "Show me." Yet you have such simple faith and love for your Heavenly Father and Jesus. I have seen that it's something engrained in you from birth- to believe. It's not a slow brainwashing from us, but a beautiful truth that you can feel all by yourself.
You are very intuitive with technology. You've got a sharp mind for puzzles, mazes, memory, and matching. You are so curious about reading and spelling. You love to ask where everything comes from. All day I'm teaching you (or google-ing) the origins of pancakes, spiders, blankets, clouds, milk, and toothpaste. We often look up videos online to show us how honey is made, how do tornadoes happen and how the body works. You can tell us all about intestines and bladders and it's awesome.
You are a great big sister. You love to teach Hazel and play with her. You want to be near her and she follows you around everywhere. She's your biggest fan and you know it, you are always trying to make her laugh. But then again, you are also very interested in pushing her limits and bothering her.... all apart of being a sibling I suppose.
You are goofy as ever. You love making silly faces, voices, and telling jokes. Every other day you are putting on a dance recital for us in the living room. You say the weirdest things, I can't even begin to write those all here. But one that is a constant is you have turned your belly into your spokesperson (spokes-belly?) It's not just that your belly gets too fully for your veggies but everyday you are saying things like, "My belly says it needs to watch a show." "My belly says I can't go there." "My belly says I can't clean up those toys." "My belly is too full. But it's not too full for ice cream!"
It's no secret that you have a crazy love struck crush on Aladdin. You get sad every time you see him with Jasmine. We've had many discussions about who else Jasmine can marry instead. You talk about him everyday. You wrote him a love letter for Valentine's day. Once a week you wake up and tell me you had a dream about him. One day I asked why your cheeks were red (sun burn) but you said, "I dreamed Aladdin kissed me." One time you were doing a little jig and I said you needed to go potty but you replied, "No, I was just thinking about Aladdin!"
Your head is constantly up in the clouds, day dreaming and imagining. It can be hard to get you to focus sometimes or to pay attention when we're at a store or something. You are just off in your own land. Probably with Aladdin.
I could write about you for hours. All about your continued fascination with all insects. The pictures of people that you draw. The picnics you're always making in your room. The castles you build with blocks. Your obsession with rainbow colors. Your fearless and tender nature with animals. Your story telling skills. You are so full of life!
And having you as my daughter? There has never been a greater blessing
in all of my life. Thanks for making me a mommy and for being my June
bug.
During the past year June has:
Gone on a roller coaster
Gone to an Antique car show
Done lots of swimming
Worn countless princess dresses
Walked a dog
Rode horses
Played on sand dunes
Camped at a cabin
Roasted a lot of marshmallows
Learned to ride a bike
Become potty trained
Visited to the birds at the aviary
Collected approximately 872 rollie pollies
Picked raspberries
Gone to a museum of taxidermy animals
Painted a few masterpieces
Seen the real ruby red slippers
Ridden on a subway
Visited an Amish store
Put her feet in the Chesapeake Bay
Seen a baby panda bear
Had a kitten take a nap on her lap
Fed lots of ducks
Gone through a corn maze
Picked a pumpkin at a pumpkin patch
Dressed up as goldie locks
Taken swimming lessons
Started going down slides by herself
Had breakfast with Santa
Decorated a lot cookies
Gone to the dentist
laid on her back in bath tub
Watched ice sculpting
Seen some real reindeer
Started going to primary at church
Taken Dance class and gymnastics
And a summer science class
Gone bowling
Made a real gingerbread house
Started swimming with a puddle jumper
Eaten lunch in a yurt
Swam in hot springs
Received her first car (battery operated...)
Set off sky lanterns
Attended a professional basketball game
Gone to a princess ball with her daddy and
Rode on a horse drawn carriage
Drank butter beer
Started making recognizable drawings of people. And earth quakes and maps
Learned and loves to make necklaces
Ridden on a huge Ferris Wheel
Become a cousin! And got a cousin!
Hiked some hikes
Gone to the Tulip festival. Like 8 times
Gained a new pet bearded dragon
Kissed a few boys
Camped out in the backyard
Gone through her first temple!
Gotten strep throat
Delivered May Day flowers
Read her first chapter book with mom
Seen a few movies at the theater
New states visited:
Montana
Wyoming
Delaware
Florida
Also note worthy-
She went to three different capitals in one day- DC, Annapolis, and Dover
Flew on 4 airplanes
Repeat states visited:
Idaho
Maryland
Virginia
New exciting places and landmarks:
Dinosaur national monument
Yellowstone
Old faithful
Disneyworld!
And for fun, an interview with the birthday girl.
What's your favorite color? Pink and blue and purple. And golden!
You favorite toy? Sparkly dinosaurs! They go -AHH!
Favorite TV show? Ponies and Octanuats and Daniel tiger neighborhood.
Favorite snack? Fruit snacks and penguin fishes
Favorite book? The choosing book!
Special things you like to take to bed? Pirate ship [her stuffed horse] and sass [her stuffed giraffe.] And my soft blanket.
What's your favorite thing to eat for breakfast? Jam and bread and salad and broccoli.
What about for dinner? Meat and ham and... octopus. I got octopus for daddy. [she actually refuses to eat meat.]
What is something mommy always says to you? Be nice.
What makes you happy? When you be nice. When you and me laugh.
What makes you sad? When Ben wont come. But I'm happy when Ben comes! [her uncle.]
What makes you laugh? When daddy tickles me. What happens when I tickle too?! (tickles me) Now tickle me!
How old are you? 6
How old is Mommy? 7
How old is Daddy? 8
What is your favorite thing to do? Tap on people. What? Yeah watch! TAP- you're it!
Who is your best friend? Aladdin. He's my prince and my friend.
What do you want to be when you grow up? A dancer.
What are you really good at? I don't know.
Well what am I good at? Painting roses? Umm, I'm just done. It's making me sick.
Come on, what are you good at? ...Petting a tiger. A white one!
What are you not very good at? Can't carry a big lion. Only you carry a big lion. I carry a little small one.
What did you do today? Got to the library.
What is your favorite food? No say 'What food do you not like?' Okay, what food do you NOT like? Chicken!
What do you like? Apples
What is your favorite song? The sunbeam one.
What do you want for your birthday this year? Ice cream
What is your favorite animal? Snakes. No one snake. But I don't want to hold them, they are poisonous. And a robot dog. And.... my belly wants to choose something first. Cake! He wants to choose that!
What is love? It's when you get married.
But what does it mean when I love you and you love me? Jesus can die for us.
What does daddy do for work? Works at the work.
Where do you live? In a home. Or in a castle!
Where is your favorite place to go? To a castle. Disneyland!
Happy Birthday June bug! Here's to a new year of beautiful growth!

















5 comments:
She is just the best. I didn't realize her belly was such a big part of her life.... Even in her interview! She cracks me up. What a light she is!!
What a goofy, beautiful girl! She does have an incredible imagination and a loving heart!
There are so many things I love about this post - gorgeous images, well written text, hilarious interview. I had no idea about the belly thing. Haha! Also, June has done WAY more traveling than I have this year! What the heck?!
Oh man, we love June, and her obsession with Aladdin and her creativity and imagination! We can't wait to see you all!
Oh, the interview was the best! So fun what kids say!
All the pictures in the field of wild flowers (beautiful, by the way!) remind me of something that happened the other day. I was driving around and passed a small field and it was just full of pink, yellow, white, and purple wild flowers! It was so beautiful!! I thought "If Anna were here, she would stop and pick some of those." And I really wanted to do that! But I was already past it. And the road was busy. So I didn't. But I wanted to!
Post a Comment