Thursday, September 12, 2013

1st Trimester

I have officially left the first trimester and could not be more happy about that. It's been hard- although I wont claim it to be the worst experience a woman has ever had, it was still difficult for me. People often ask how it is/was so I decided to write about it. In doing so, I am in no way trying to complain or be ungrateful. I just want to write about it in a these-are-the-facts kind of way.*

Anyway, if you don't care about pregnancy talk, just skip this post.


But here's the skinny for those who care:

The whole nausea thing sucks. Over all I think that aspect was worse when I was pregnant with June but there were some rough days over here where I felt like I was trapped in my body and living in a nightmare. BUT over all- it could have been worse. And it could have been better...

I am not a huge snacker so it's super hard for me to keep eating all day. I get a little frustrated at food and that it sounds so disgusting at the time, yet I have to eat it to feel better. You feel me? The whole thing feels like a prank God is playing on me... (and all women)

With the nausea, something more obnoxious came: The over sensitive gag reflex from HELL. It got to the point where I can't wear my hair down because I can't have anything touching my neck. So any fashionable jewelry has been out. Cute hair- no. Laying on the couch like a normal sick person- heck no. I had to find the flattest pillow I could to use at night so that no fluffy-ness will surround my neck. I often awake in the night by the gagging. And flossing my teeth- out of the question. But for some odd reason I have been completely fine with brushing my teeth. And lucky me- it's not winter and scarf and turtle neck season- blech!

In the end I was lucky enough to be able to breathe through the bad times and stop myself from throwing up.

Until the evening of labor day. I suddenly couldn't stop it... and it was a violent unforgiving kind. I thought that was weird and then came to realize I felt different and yep- I had the stomach flu! WHY?! Anyone who has been reading my blog for a while may know that that makes the count up to NINE times in under two years of having the stomach flu.

The other most troubling thing has been the fever I've had since getting pregnant. It's mild and the highest I've personally checked it at was 100.6 so nothing life threatening but just enough to really wear me down day by day. I am grateful it hasn't been too high, but honestly- I've really hated it. I've had some tests done and they aren't sure why and maybe it's just some bizarre pregnancy symptom that is special for me because my body is awesome like that.

Or it could be because I seem to be prone to bladder infections and UTI's. Had them both already. So weird. So lovely. Too much information...? Nah. But maybe I've had a fever this whole time because I constantly seem to have an infection or flu.

And why is my sciatic nerve already acting up? 

The fatigue was debilitating for a while at the beginning but that has been getting better.

And that's the good news. This week I have had a few good days! Things are starting to look up and I can see the light.  I've been wearing my hair down a little bit and even worn a necklace for a few hours! Exciting times, people, exciting times.

Here I am at 14 weeks. Holy moly. My belly popped out A TON faster than it did with June, which I know is normal, but still. It freaked me out a little bit. This photo is not the best, apparently I don't know how to pose myself to properly show my growing self but I'll work on it. And for now, this is what you get.

So if you look back that means that through all of this I have:
Gone sailing, on a hot air balloon, stayed at a bed and breakfast with Buck and gone horseback riding. Went to Lagoon and the zoo and stuff with my family. And even threw June's 2nd birthday. After all of that I crashed and haven't left my house much for a few weeks. June and I were surviving like this:



But a lot of days I had these awesome friends who helped by taking June to play or visiting me or bringing me Popsicles, or bringing me food and homemade hot pockets! And thanks to those of you who took the risk of letting me sit down on your couch, knowing that I may never get off it again. ;)

Also, my sister in law showed up for three weeks to help! (But there will be a whole blog post dedicated to that.) But she leaves tomorrow and I am a sad girl. 

Gosh there are great people in the world. 
Thanks to everyone who helps and cares so that I can bring another great person here.


*I hope you all know that I really don't want to sound whiny. I'm smart enough to know that there are many women who would do anything to feel sick and awful for the chance of having a kid. Every day, no matter how bad, I have been grateful for all of this.

4 comments:

Erinlizabeth said...

Yeah... you don't really look all that big in that picture. But I believe you. ;-) And I'll see it in person soooooooooooooooooooooon....

4boyzmdmom said...

That gagging thing sounds terrible...that never happened to me. And nausea is the worst! I am amazed you were able to do so many things...you are a trooper! But then, eating never helped me feel better (except the last time) so I was always afraid to go anywhere for fear I'd lose it somewhere in public. Although compared to some women, I didn't actually throw up a lot...but I always FELT like I was going to do that at any moment. Aw, the memories! :) I always reminded myself that I was lucky to be having a baby, though...and I was always grateful.

Tanya Hanamaikai said...

HOORAY!! You should have added that you're past your first trimester in the good news minute :)

Miriam said...

CONGRATULATIONS! So happy for you! And I'm pregnant too--due February. So both of our kids will be about the same age!