Friday, April 22, 2011

Friends in Harmony II

So, when I was a kid my parents had this singing group for quite a few years called "Friends in Harmony." There were usually eight people and they would always be practicing at my house. They would then go on to preform at the old folks home and during Christmas they sang at the Festival of Trees and then during Valentines Day they would do singing Valentines for unsuspecting sweethearts. Two of the people who were in the group besides my parents were my cousin Alyse's parents. (I call them this instead of aunt and uncle because they are not, her dad was my dad's cousin, really making Alyse my second cousin once removed. Or something like that. But whatever, family is family.) So while they would be down stairs practicing the kids would be corralled in the game room. As they sang we sang along and we knew every song. We didn't realize it then but we were learning classic songs of the past and also how to sing and harmonize.

Years later Alyse and I have found ourselves starting a singing group. I kept hounding her about it and next thing I knew she took the reins and we had ourselves a little group. It mostly consists of family with a couple friends. We have only been practicing for a few months but we had our first performance this past Tuesday at a retirement home. We aren't perfect but we had fun and our mature audience loved it.

We joked about a name for the group based off the original inspiration. "Enemies in Dis-chord." haha But I think they had written "Voices of Friends" on the board there but then Alyse announced us as "Friends in Harmony- the next generation." hahaha

I know this is a lot to write about one night but it meant a lot to me to be there, doing something I had grown up watching. To be doing it with the person I watched it with. (Now if only my sister would stop being so busy and join too. ;)) It was also Alyse's 25 birthday that day. I'd like to think we had a couple angels there watching.  :)

Aren't we cute?

2 comments:

Erinlizabeth said...

Looks like I would throw off the balance eh?

The Jensen's said...

I remember the Friends of Harmony singing for ward Christmas parties!! Great memories. Love this post.