Wednesday night, before Thanksgiving, Buck and I had mentioned that our throats were starting to hurt but that we were going to ignore it and hope it went away. Buck ran to the grocery store that night too to get stuff to make our side dishes for his family get together the next day. I fell asleep before he got home from the store. I woke up in the middle of the night when he flopped his hand on my face, asking if I had a fever, but then I fed Johnny, half asleep, and fell back asleep, unaware of what was happening to Buck.
When I woke up in the morning Buck was bright red and hot. He started telling me about how he'd been negotiating with people from India all night. That they would tell him to get water, to keep breathing, to turn on his side. I was like..... "Okay..... that's weird.." So I took his temp and discovered it to be 106. I got up and got him medicine and a cold wash cloth. As he sat up he started to suddenly sob uncontrollably. It was SUPER weird for him, not a normal thing at all. That with the fever and hallucinations... I knew I needed to get him in. A voice in my head told me "Get him in now." and I felt an urgency. So I called his parents and they headed over and I got us ready to go to the ER.
We got checked in and in the room. Buck kept bursting into sobs. He wasn't sad, he said he just couldn't control it. At the time we didn't know how bad he was, and the ER staff did a good job keeping calm so that we didn't really know. I did wonder why they rushed to hook him up to an IV, why they started taking so many tests. Lots of people have bad fevers, right?
A staff from the food department brought us a turkey lunch. Then the nurse had to take Buck's away, saying he couldn't eat right now.
What a great Thanksgiving feast! ;)
Buck's dad had to come bring Johnny to me so I could feed him. So Johnny hung out for a long time with me and so did Dennis. Buck had to get a spinal tap! The doctor seemed concerned.
Eventually we found out that Buck had strep throat and a bad sinus infection and that they had gone septic! So the infection had gotten into his blood and had started shutting down organs. Well, in his case his kindeys had been the first to start shutting down and his blood pressure was very low. He was admitted to the hospital.
He ended up there for several days recovering. There were some tears, discouraging moments, visitors, games played, cards made, and over all improvements made everyday.
It was a blur for me. I also had strep throat! I was torn between being with my kids to make sure they were okay and being with Buck and making sure he was okay. I spent the first night on my in laws couch. (they were on their couches as well, as they had given their bed to June and Hazel.) Then I spent the other nights at home to give the girls some normalcy. I wished I could be with Buck but it was too hard with Johnny. So we visited as much as we could. Buck's family was amazing and so helpful through the whole thing with the girls and such. And of course they were also stressed with the uneasiness of their son that sick in the hospital. Our neighbors and friends were also so helpful and kind as well! And just when I thought we were starting to find some normal life and not need so much help. ;)
The whole thing was weird, sudden, scary, random, but ultimately good- we are just grateful Buck is alive and on the mend! They said it would have been much worse had I not gotten him there when I did! He could have gone into a coma and stuff so I'm so grateful for a true thanksgiving- being reminded of what's more important!
Buck's excited selfie when he got to put on a real shirt and come home. 😊
A wonderful reunion at home. The girls made a banner and wrapped random things from around the house as gifts for Buck. 😅
And NOW we're really hoping for a boring life- just for a little while anyway. :)
5 comments:
That ER bed looks real uncomfortable. And cold. And Johnny looks huge. And I’m sure buck loves all these pictures. And I’m real glad this little episode is mostly over. Sheesh.
Wow! So grateful for the positive outcome. Bless you guys! Hopefully mellow days ahead!
Jade:
A thanksgiving we will never forget
Lisa Tait:
Bless you! I turned 30 in the hospital with pneumonia after something not quite this dramatic but pretty bad. These things are so intense and make you grateful when they are over!
Lesley Peay:
So crazy! We didn’t even hear about this until the day before he came home. So glad he’s ok!
Shanda Call:
Oh man that is scary! I’m so glad it all turned out well!! ♥️
Aunt Judy:
This picture makes me cry :( And it makes me remember how scary it was the last time. Does he just need to start wearing a mask as soon as strep season starts? Is there a strep season? So glad you are all okay! <3
Amber Louw:
Glad he’s doing well and is home. What a scary experience.
The Allens:
We're so happy Buck is okay. Thanks for sharing!
We're so glad Buck is okay! We were praying for him and your family! I'm also glad you have family close!!
Amy B. Pew Crane
When Buck was telling us about those people from "India" and what they were telling him, I just keep thinking those must have really been his guardian angels keeping him alive until morning! 💕
Jo Ann Pew
That word 'septic' absolutely terrified me! I cried and prayed half the night. I'm sooo grateful Buck is well and alive
Post a Comment